Thursday, December 31, 2015
What is yoga?
Simply put, yoga is a system of physical exercises or postures that can build strength, flexibility, and confidence. It’s a practice that started in India and in recent years has rapidly caught on. Yoga is also about breathing, which calms and refreshes the mind and body.
Why is yoga good for kids?
Yoga is about exploring and learning in a fun, safe, and playful way! Yoga and kids are a great match. Here is what they can learn from yoga:
Yoga teaches us about our bodies. As we practice the postures, we learn how to move our bodies more freely with greater ease and awareness. An added benefit is that we become stronger and more flexible!
Yoga teaches us to breathe better. When we breathe deeply in each posture, we bring energy to our bodies.
Yoga teaches you to quiet your mind. While we practice yoga, we learn to be still which helps improve listening and attention.
Yoga teaches us balance! Whether that means learning to stretch BOTH sides of our bodies or how to stand on one foot, balance is important in daily life.
Interested in learning more at home?
Here are some useful videos and links:
- · Cosmic Yoga : https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
- · SunDance Kids : https://www.youtube.com/user/barikoral
- · Yoga for Kids by Yoga Today: https://www.youtube.com/user/yogatoday
- · Namaste Kid : https://www.youtube.com/user/namastekid
- · Tara Stiles : https://www.youtube.com/user/TaraStilesYoga
- · Brett Larkin Yoga : https://www.youtube.com/user/BrettLarkinYoga
- · BeFit: https://www.youtube.com/user/BeFit
Books, located in the 613.7’s
- · The everything yoga book by Worby. 613.7 WOR
- · Yoga as medicine : the yogic prescription for health & healing : a yoga journal book / by Timothy McCall
- · Get Started Yoga by Nita Patel
- · Yoga : the path to holistic health / B. K. S. Iyengar
- · Yoga for runners / Christine Felstead
- · And many more!
Wednesday, December 9, 2015
You may think of books, or computers, when you think of the library, but we’d also like to bring you the stars. December is Astronomy Month and at 6:00 PM on the evening of Tuesday December 15th two volunteers from the Eastern Ozarks Astronomical Society will set up their telescopes for sky viewing in the lot behind the library.
Andromeda Galaxy, star clusters and planetary nebula will be served up crisp and clear in the glass of the telescope’s eye-pieces. All ages welcome and no experience necessary. Should there be cloud cover the event will be rescheduled for December 22nd. To find out more about the astronomy club, or to schedule a star party with them for yourself go to http://easternozarksastronomy.org/
Thursday, December 3, 2015
Check out GuysRead! They have books guys like. That guys read. That guys read together and alone. They have fart books, war books, baseball books, books your teachers will let your read for homework, and books your mom will be impressed you can read!